Real Estate Lawyer in Charlotte
Louis A. “Lou” Trosch, Sr.
Lou Trosch, real estate lawyer in Charlotte, heads the firm’s real estate department and brings more than 49 years of experience in the practice of real estate law, estate planning, business and corporate law, probate and estate administration. In addition, he is an award-winning Professor of Business Law at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and is the author of numerous law articles.
Practice AreasExperiencePublications & AwardsCommunityProfessional
- Business and Corporate Law
- Probate and Estate Planning
- Real Estate
- Full Professor, UNC-Charlotte, Business Law, 1969-2013
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission, Certified Lecturer
- Training session leader for Caldwell Banker, Allen Tate Realty, ERA Panther Real Estate, and other companies
- West Virginia University, J.D., 1965
- George Washington University, M.A., 1962
- Bethany College, B.A., 1961
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Supreme Court’s Decision to Bar Age Discrimination Lawsuits Against States in Federal Courts (Download)
- The Effect of Minnesota v. White on Campaigning for the Judiciary (Download)
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 v. States’ Sovereign Immunity Rights (Download)
- Fourteenth Amendment Due Process Rights v. States’ Sovereign Immunity (Download)
- Is it Time to Change the Way North Carolina Selects Judges? (Download)
- Mecklenburg Drug Abuse Committee, “Illegal Searches in the Public School System” workshop
- Family Financial Planning presentation for First Baptist Church, Myers Park Baptist Church, Kiwanis Club, Alumni Assn. of Mary Washington Univ.
- Hugh O’Brien Youth Foundation’s N.C. Leadership Conference, Business Ethics panelist
- “Higher Mortgage Rates and the Future of the Housing Market,” WTVI, 1980
- “Impact of Housing Costs,” WBTV, 1980
- “Effect of Inflation on Citizens’ Spending Habits,” WSOC-TV, 1980
- Published more than 50 academic articles, refereed proceedings, and made numerous presentations to regional and national conferences, UNC-Charlotte, 1969-present
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Certificate of Appreciation, Northwest Athletic Association, 1984
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission: One of 39 people approved to teach Continuing Education update course
- Recipient, NCNB Award of Excellence in Teaching at UNCC, 1983
- Certificate of Appreciation from United Way, 1982
- Outstanding Service as UNCC Chair of the Business Law Program, 1983
- Recognized for Outstanding Service, Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, 1978
- Excellence in Teaching faculty award, UNC-Charlotte, one of two recipients, 1983
- Recognized as a national authority on the “In Loco Parentis” doctrine
- Rated in a confidential survey of area judges and attorneys as having high to preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards
- Adult Care and Share Center, Inc., Board of Directors and Corporate Attorney, 1980- 2002
- Mecklenburg Group Homes, Inc., Board of Directors, 1979-1987
- Young Men’s Christian Association, 1976-1987
- Cotswold Elementary School, PTA President School Committee, 1979; Chairperson, 1979-1986
- West Charlotte High School, Forensic and Debate Committee, 1981-1986; Chairperson, 1981-1983
- Parks & Recreation Site Inventory Committee, Chairperson, 1979
- Mecklenburg Parks & Recreation Commission, 1972-1978; Vice Chairperson, 1976-1978
- Citizens Committee for Passage of Parks & Recreation Bonds, 1978
- Mecklenburg County Board of Social Services, Foster Care Advisory Committee, 1970-1976
- The Charlotte Housing Authority, Volunteer
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer
- North Carolina State Bar, 1966
- West Virginia State Bar, 1965
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- American Association of University Professors
- American Business Law Association
- Southeastern Business Law Association
- Professor of Business Law, University of North Carolina-Charlotte
- Belk College of Business Administration (Retired 2013)
Lou Trosch and his wife, Minette
I am the founding partner of Conrad Trosch & Kemmy with more than 49 years of experience in the practice of real estate law, general litigation, business and corporate law, and estate administration.
My wife, Minette, also practices at the firm, as do two of our sons, Bill and Eric. My family has greatly influenced my practice of law. I believe that a parent has to earn the respect of a child, just as the child has to earn the respect of a parent. I apply this to my practice daily as I strive to earn and maintain the respect of my clients.
There are several “hands on” ways that I treat my clients with dignity and respect on a daily basis. First, I return phone calls as quickly as I can. Second, I give clients practical, no-nonsense answers to their questions. For example, if a lawsuit is not worth pursuing, I will make sure that my client is aware of it and does not spend “good money” chasing “bad money.” My main objective is to create a just and peaceful solution for my client. I avoid creating more conflict than resolution.
I have taught Business Law to more than 18,000 students over the past forty-three years at The University of North Carolina – Charlotte. Teaching college students keeps me current and connected, and I am honored to call many of my former students both clients and friends.
Perhaps my most cherished possession is my 1964 Volkswagen Bug that boasts more than 400,000 miles on it. The Volkswagen is a symbol of my roots and reminds me of what life was like back when I first married Minette.
For more information about how our lawyers in Charlotte can help you with divorce, estate planning needs, personal injury in Charlotte, trust and estate litigation and much more please review the links above or simply contact us at 704.553.8221.